Proactive driving is as much about being prepared as it is about reading the road conditions and other drivers that operate on our streets and highways. Since it is not possible to safely practice these types of situations on public roads, the safe track experience of knowing how a car behaves in extreme situations plays a major role in a driver’s confidence and capabilities.
This training program was specifically designed to help you in real life situations, as we focus on you as the driver and on the logistics of every vehicle. You will learn how to skillfully assess difficult situations, respond safely and then be able to drive on calmly.
We also actively teach safe accident avoidance and review field of vision drills which expand your awareness and make you more capable when faced with obstacles and hazards. We strongly believe that understanding your position of vehicle in traffic, reading other drivers and proper awareness of your surroundings not only makes you a more informed and confident driver, and ultimately a much safer one.
Whether someone has recently passed their driving test or is simply looking to master the roadway – our proactive driving course is the ideal training to ensure safety and confidence on the road.
Each session will contain:
A short classroom component about the theory of driving, driver control and the physics of vehicles. Followed by, driving drills in the Dynamic Drive area: Practising a range of exercises that include emergency and target braking, dynamic lane changes, and deliberately induced understeering
- Positioning: an in-depth look at correct seat position, mirrors and steering column adjustments to optimize driving and clear lines of sight for both day and nighttime driving.
- Flow of traffic: learn where to position your car in traffic and how much space is needed for safe braking and avoidance manoeuvres.
- Traffic assessment: how to read traffic and how to react to avoid situations in advance, with enough time and space for safe manoeuvring.
- Control: understand car balance, how understeer and oversteer will affect driving in wet and slippery conditions, giving a clear understanding of how actions impact traction.
- Ideal cornering: proper corner entry and exit, including when to accelerate and when to brake.
- Accident Avoidance: safety avoiding obstacles such pedestrians, other vehicles and wildlife.
- Field of Vision: how to see and predict dangerous situations on the road.
- Ideal Driving: the correct approach on the roadway to promote safe handling in corners, up and down hills and in multi-lane situations on the road.
- Dynamic driving: slalom to feel car balance, understeer, a relationship of acceleration and braking to steering input.
Includes a gourmet lunch prepared by our Executive Chef, Castro Boateng and his team at the Paddock Lounge.
Upon completion, you will receive a certificate of completion, as well as recording and images as memories of your driving day at the Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit Program
Full day (9am- 4pm) Program: $229 + tax per person